Incorporating crystals into everyday beauty routines are all the rage right now. Scroll through the content of beauty gurus and influencers and you will be sure to see jade facial rollers and rose quartz gua sha tools. Although it seems like a recent trend, jade rolling and gua sha massage is a centuries-old practice in traditional Chinese medicine. Today it is widely used for lymphatic drainage, de-puffing of under eyes, stimulation of blood circulation, and sculpting.
Crystal facials go beyond the skin-deep image, yes it is a beautiful concept and it adds a classy touch to your Instagram feed. But it has delivered results for better skin, especially when used with other more invasive techniques.
This article will break down the different types of crystals that their properties, tips on how to do a crystal facial, and all the benefits that come from it. So if you are thinking of adding crystal facials to your list of services, this blog will act as a guide.
Different crystals for different skin types
The use of different types of crystals is a great way to help target different skin problems of your client. Crystal rollers and gua sha can be made in five main crystal types for skincare.
Start with a consultation of what results your client is after and examine their skin type. Then offer your range of crystals and explain the properties of each, by engaging with the client you can discuss the which types of crystals would be best used for their facial and customize a treatment based on their wants. This is a great opportunity to understand what they want. The ability to deliver great service will only enhance their overall experience and encourage them to come back again.
Here is a list outlining the different crystals, their benefits and the skin type that they are best suited for:
- Jade Crystal - The anti-inflammatory and detoxifying properties help with blemish-prone skin. It is ideal for skin that is oily and acne-prone.
- Clear Quartz – Suitable for all skin types (normal, combination, sensitive, oily, or dry), it has a harmonizing effect and believed to strengthen positive energy.
- Rose Quartz – Most suited for normal, combination, acne-prone, or sensitive skin types. This crystal is used to nourish the skin and clear inflammation to bring back a glow to tired-looking skin.
- Amethyst – Great for mature skin types that are starting to look dull and tired, with age the skin gets thinner, this crystal is used to tone and enhance the skin. Some believe that this crystal has a connection with the third eye and is particularity effective at reducing wrinkles in between eyebrows.
- Tourmaline – Used for normal, oily, and sensitive skin to help reduce puffiness and sagging skin and increases blood circulation to the face.
Crystal facial techniques
The crystal roller and gua sha have different benefits for the skin and different techniques can be applied with each tool. But there are important steps to take when giving a crystal facial:
Firstly, on clean skin, prime and hydrate the skin with a few pumps of serum and gently massage in an upwards and outwards motion
Using a crystal roller:
Always roll in an upwards motion and use long and gentle strokes. Make sure to not pull at the skin or to use too much pressure. By the time you have completed the facial massage with the crystal roller, the serum would have completely absorbed into the skin, leaving it feeling plump and moisturized.
Using a gua sha:
Apply a facial oil to help the gua sha glide across the skin without creating tension. This is important as the gua sha tool uses more pressure and we would want to avoid any unnecessary tugging at the skin that will cause discomfort. Some of the oil will be absorbed in the process, leaving a dewy finish.
The gua sha tool has different sides and edges that are used on different parts of the face and neck. It will be applied in a similar motion as the crystal roller, moving in upwards strokes. Because of the shape of the gua sha, it can be used to target specific areas of the face to massage.
After the use of each tool, please make sure to sanitize them properly. Colloidal silver or isopropyl alcohol are recommended cleaning agents, the use of UV sanitizer would also be encouraged. These tools are best stored in silk boxes that will help protect the crystals.
Here is a detailed step by step instruction guide of how to perform a crystal facial, it illustrates the use of both crystal roller and gua sha.
The benefits of crystal facials:
As great as they are on their own, it has been seen that crystal facials have amazing advantages when used in conjunction with other more aggressive beauty treatments. For example treatments like dermarolling, micro-needling and micro dermal abrasion are all invasive treatments that each have different beneficial properties. When you use crystal facials before these treatments, together they can achieve better results and here is why:
- Crystal facials increase skin nutrition and microcirculation, which in turn helps with the healing process and collagen production
- Crystal facials are gentle and relaxing, by starting the client's treatment with something soothing with give then a more well-rounded experience
- Why the rush? By performing a crystal facial before invasive treatments, this gives the practitioner time to assess the clients skin and identify which areas need the most attention
Want to learn more why not create your own personalised cyrstal facial now?